Steaming Vegetables Gone Wrong: Broccoli, Cauliflower, & Carrots Turned to Mush—What Did I Do Wrong?

Broccoli will not work in the IP... I have made fettuccini Alfredo in the IP, the stirred in frozen broccoli flowerettes, recovered and allowed the IP to continue on “keep warm" counting up for 2-3 minutes....not cooking at all, just staying warm.
Every time I try cooking the broccoli, it just disintegrates!!! Baby carrots and cauliflower can be steamed for 1 minute with 1 c. water to build the steam pressure.
Fresh green beans or corn on the cob can be pressure cooked on high for 6 - 8 minutes...

@knotlikeyou I make broccoli all the time in the IP. I don't measure anything, but I put some water in the pot, broccoli in the steam basket and cube like a half stick of butter and throw it on top along with salt and pepper. I pressure cook on high for 0 minutes and it comes out perfect every time.

@knotlikeyou I'm so sorry it doesn't work for you. It has literally been perfect every time I have made it. I don't eat it but my husband and kids have not complained. . . Lol

@knotlikeyou yep, me too! Just keep the broccoli in larger chunks. Quick release immediately. I do 0 minutes or 1 minute when cooking for my toddler because she likes it softer

Maybe you had too much in the pot? Remember that the more food in there the longer it takes to come to pressure, but it is cooking while it’s coming to pressure. Then make sure to do quick release immediately when done

Wow… I cook broccoli in the IP all the time. And I set it for 10 minute pressure cook, that’s for a full basket of fresh (not frozen) broccoli comes out perfect every time. 

@uscgbpd yep I filled the basket with fresh broccoli– I mean full like packed in LOL we are a family of four and we all love broccoli so we eat a lot of it, 1 cup of water, set to pressure cook for 10 minutes. I do like mine completely cooked and completely soft. 

I have the same results as Jemma Reinhardt with fresh brocoli. However if I cook frozen then it is too soft at 0 is yuck. But I also don't like frozen brocoli to begin with. I cook a lot of fresh veggies in mine at 0 and 0 with perfect results. I use both a 3 and 6 qt for veggies.

Back