Steaming Vegetables Gone Wrong: Broccoli, Cauliflower, & Carrots Turned to Mush—What Did I Do Wrong?

Don't use pressure, just the Steam setting. Only takes a minute or so to make them steamed, but still crispy.

I’ve never had much success with cooking those particular vegetables in the IP even on steam for 0 minutes, they come out too soft. Generally speaking, baby carrots or chunks of larger carrots take longer to cook than broccoli and cauliflower. For instance, when I cook on the stovetop I add the carrots to 1/2” of boiling water, let them cook on their own for 1 minute then add the broccoli and cook another 3 minutes. I’m basically steaming the broccoli in that small amount of water over the carrots. I haven’t been able to come close to our preferred al dente veg in the IP. All I can suggest is hit the Cancel button the moment the pin comes up indicating it is up to pressure and quick release (because the veg will continue to cook when pressure is being released).
It is frustrating wasting veg experimenting.

Choose the right tool for the job. Those veggies would be much better cooked on the stove or in the microwave. IP veggies are hard to get right unless you're making baby food.

@kittynesh9 interesting, I haven't used it in the instant pot but in the slow/multi cooker. as far as I thought you don't actually build pressure for the steam setting-doesn't mean that the pin in lid won't go up, just like when keep warm is on after pressure cooking a meal and lid is closed and then opened. it will often have a small amount that pushed the pin inside lid up when heat steam rise

If you have a Duo, steam or low pressure, start with HOT to BOILING water, then Zero minutes. Must quick release and remove from pot immediately!

Back