Struggling with Thickening Gravy in My Instant Pot – Tips Needed!

bushra

Okay all, I need help. I'm relatively new to the IP. I've been using my 6qt IP Duo for about 3 months. With the hot weather, I use it for probably 5 out of 7 dinners each week. My problem is that I cannot get gravy to thicken. Anytime I make a dish that tells me to remove the meat and add a slurry of cornstarch to thicken., I just seem to spend wasted time (and cornstarch) stirring and stirring to still only end up with a thin gravy. I've tried new cornstarch, high/normal/low levels of saute, keeping IP on "keep warm," and I still end up with thin gravy. I'm beginning to think it's psychological/paranormal because I'm not a big fan of gravy (husband is). How are you all getting gravy to thicken?
UPDATE: Thank you all! You have given me some great suggestions. I am going to experiment with Wondra flour, arrowroot, tapioca and/or increasing the amount of cornstarch.

@menshajoe It depends on howuch liquid the recipe uses. It's usually 2-3 tsp of cornstarch to an equal amount of water or wine, the Saute and boil, boil, boil while stirring/whisking.

My first question is whether you make gravy successfully from scratch (no gravy mix) using other cooking methods?

There may be too much liquid left in the pot when you are done cooking. You might try removing and saving some of the broth then thickening the smaller amount. You can add the saved liquid back if your gravy gets too thick.

Maybe you aren’t using enough cornstarch in your slurry. But I understand your struggle. Mine often goes from too thin to too thick. 🥴

Back