Best Instant Pot Chili Recipe for a Spicy, Hearty 5-Quart Challenge

I have my own IP steak chili recipe but it's a PDF and I can't attach it. I'll see if I can PM it if you're interested. Just let me know.

I've read ideas on other sites. Roast your tomatoes. Add cooked and some fresh onions. Other ideas were coffee, cinnamon. Use fatty chuck roast cut up and ground beef. Do lots of experimenting and good luck.

Hmmm.. I guess if you entered a competition then you bring your best to them. I've been making chili for a lot of years.. the basic recipe I don't think will change.. same recipe my mother learned from her mother-

Exactly!! I know there are a lot of new appliances on the market and we have to learn/ adapt to cooking with them- I still giggle when I think of my IP sitting in the box waiting for me to be a brave girl. My point is once I got over the fear of the new appliance you could not stop me.. best appliance (IMO) evah!!

I have won the chili cookoff at work the past 2 years with this recipe! I do double.

I have won multiple chili cook offs
My first advice is to use your slow cooker function on your IP not your Pressure Cooker function
My other best advice is to make your own chili powder
This video from America's test kitchen is. Good starting place for that
Your own homemade Chili powder makes it 1,000% better
The rest of that recipe is also very good
My other advice for five quarts is to include a real smoked Mexican Chipotle in it, that will add a touch of smokiness. Float it on top like a bay leaf and remove from the pot before serving
The other advice for a 5 quart pot is to put a raw 8-10 oz ribeye or chuck eye with a lot of fat on it, literally look for the fattiest one you can find, even ask a meat cutter for the absolute fattiest one, in your freezer for half an hour to an hour then grill it outside over the hottest fire you can get to get some char on the fat then pull, you want the char but leave the inside as rare as possible
Pull from the grill and rest in the fridge on a real plate that you can cut on, don't use paper
As it cools in the fridge it will soak up all the juices and solidify them, will also be easier to cut
Then cube the meat into literal dice sized pieces
Once you have all your liquid ingredients in the pot, add the meat and any juices or solid drippings that are on the plate, you want all the goodness in your chili. The charred fat and tender beef will add awesomeness to your chili, it will fully cook in the liquid, so don't worry about it being very rare, you want to keep it rare on the grill for all that juicy goodness

Back