Best Instant Pot Chili Recipe for a Spicy, Hearty 5-Quart Challenge

I did a work Chili cook off with the 3 bean vegetable chili from the vegan instant pot cookbook and "won" lol. It's DELICIOUS. I'm not vegan, but I absolutely love this chili and you don't miss the meat at all because of all the mushrooms. Even the carnivore at my job loved it. Also very spicy!

If you dont have the cookbook and already have a good base, it's secret is Chipotle peppers in adobo, cocoa powder and brown sugar.

Rob’s Black Bean Chili With Shredded Beef (Instant Pot)
🚨Makes 8 Quarts - MAXES OUT 8QT POT!
Ingredients:
1 pound dry black beans (red beans, pinto beans) pre-soaked or pre-pressure cooked
Soaked overnight... In a large bowl, dissolve 1 tablespoon of kosher salt in the 8 cups of water. Add the beans and soak at room temperature for 8 to 24 hours. Drain and rinse.
OR Pre pressure cooked... (You can do all your prep while they cook.) Place dry unsoaked beans in the Instant pot, and add water, one inch above the level of the beans and a healthy pinch of salt. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes. Manually release. Drain and set aside. It took 30 minutes start to finish.
This works well - but soaked overnight comes out creamier!
3-4 pound chuck roast cut into six roughly even chunks
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, cut into petals (like a blooming onion)
3 stalks celery coarse chop
4 carrots coarse chop
1 red bell pepper julienned
2 Serrano chiles minced (or three canned chipotles in Adobe)
Peppers can be seeded or not... remove seeds and core to reduce heat
6 cloves garlic minced
6 sprigs fresh oregano
5 tablespoons chili powder (I use some mix of chipotle powder when I can find it)
5 tablespoon cumin
2 Tablespoons dark coco powder, (optional, adds delicious depth)
1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes with juices
1 can tomato paste
4 cups beef broth (Better Than Bouillon)
1 1/2 cup sweet vermouth or 1 bottle dark beer or similar
After Pressure
1 bag frozen corn (or two cans drained)
14 ozs Roasted red peppers
1 bunch cilantro chopped
2 Tbsp fish sauce (optional), salt and pepper to taste
Method...
🔸 Turn on the machine add beans and enough water to cover by one inch with a healthy pinch of salt. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes. Manually release. Drain and set aside. (You can skip this step if you soaked to your beans overnight. See NOTE above)
🔸 While the beans are pre-cooking. Chop all your vegetables, prep all your spices. Prep beef stock (Better Than Bouillon). Cut the meat into 6 chunks for browning.
🔸 When the beans are set aside... turn on pot to High Sauté Mode. Brown in two batches, about 2 -3 minutes per side. Just the bigger sides. Set aside the beef as done
🔸 Sauté the veggies, season lightly skip salt for now - the Beef Stock is salty, about 8 minutes... until onions are softening.
🔸 After a few mins add garlic, oregano and dry spices
🔸 After three more mins add vermouth or beer simmer for 3 mins more.
🔸 Make sure the pot is thoroughly deglazed!!
🔸 Add the beans, beef stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, Return meat to the pot.
🔸 Cover set for 32 Minutes High Pressure
🔸 Turn machine off. Allow a 12 Minute Natural Release
🔸 Remove meat, add corn, roasted red peppers, cilantro
🔸 Shred the beef with two forks, return to pot
🔸 When corn is warmed through adjust seasonings using Fish sauce as a salt source.
🔹 It will never hurt to let this cool before serving... or even making a day ahead!
🔹Hints: If your beans are very old (like older than a year) increase the Pre-Pressure Cooking Time to at least 15 minutes. Older beans take longer to cook. Or do the 12 hour soak in cold water.
---Real Time:
3:00 Start beans precooking -- Meanwhile pre chop all veg, prep spices
3:15 sealed, 10 minute clock starts
3:25 venting
3:30 beans are done - browning meat, 2 mins per side
3:40 sauté onion, celery, carrots, peppers
3:48 add garlic, oregano, chili powder, cumin, cocoa
3:50 add vermouth/beer - let alcohol cook off, deglazing pot if necessary
3:53 add beans, beef stock, tomatoes, tomato paste,
3:55 return meat to pot, submerge, start 28 minutes high pressure cycle
?? valve pop - missed the exact time
4:21 timer starts
4:51 turn off the machine - 12 minute natural release
5:05 release remaining steam, remove meat, add corn, roasted red peppers
5:07 Shred the meat
5:15 return meat to pot, adjust seasoning, when corn is heated through it's DONE!
🔹The idea for this recipe was sparked by the Beef Barley recipe I use in the IP. The chuck roast comes out so good... I wanted that texture in my chili! I also loved the idea of dried beans cooked in the IP... they come out so creamy. I’ve made a lot of recipes my own by mixing and matching... now I’ve taken what I’ve learned in just under two years of pressure cooking and created my first “from scratch” recipe. I’m pretty proud of this!

Back