Choosing the Best Instapot for a Pressure Cooking Newbie – Rio Wide vs. Base Model

candyfloss28

Update::: I am now a proud owner of the IP Rio!!! Thanks to all your help. I had the 8qt Duo in my cart since it was on sale but this popped up in my marketplace!! So I figured it must be fate
🤣
🤣
can’t wait to get it home and play with it!!
Each of you had great advice and helpful suggestions. This will be a great addition to my kitchen and it was cheap enough if I hate it (which I strongly doubt) it’s not a huge deal. New in box to boot!!! Bonus!!! Now to stalk the group for amazing recipes!!! Much love y’all!!!
Please delete if not allowed- I have spent sometime going through this group and there is lots of recipes- which I’m super thankful for and extremely inspired to jump into pressure cooking but having a hard time finding advice on which Instapot is really the best value. I do NOT plan on doing any canning so not super concerned with that feature. (I have an electric canner for that).
I like the idea of the Rio Wide but not sure I want to spend that much but if y’all love it, then I might consider it. What are your pros and cons of the Rio wide or what would the 2nd choice be? Or should the base model be enough. (I do like bells and whistles but realistically I may NOT really need them-lol)

1726294961288.png

I have the 6 quart Duo and really the only setting I have used is high pressure. Look through these recipes. He is one of the best IP cookbook author.

I have a Pro and absolutely love it. The inner pot has a flat bottom (most models don't) and handles so the liner doesn't spin when stirring.

@jabs @candyfloss28. I also have the Instant Pot Pro 6 quart and love it. I just cook for my husband & I and it is a great size. I do love the handles & flat bottom. The handles stay cool and makes it so easy to take out.

You’ll likely only use very basic features. When I met @lollypoppies (which was an amazing experience!), I was in the market for a pot for my son and daughter-in-law and asked his recommendation. Whatever he said was what I bought … and they love it.
If you have Costco near you, they carry one model at a time. Whichever one it is will be perfect for you.
Good luck. And welcome!

You have to decide which features you will use. If just for the pressure-then spend less and buy a pressure cooker. (I have 3 all different sizes). But if you want to simmer, sauté, pressure, cook slow or later, OR, make yogurt, find one that has the features you want. I thought I wanted the “Insta-Pot Rio” 8 qt. Found an off brand at 6 qt with features I will use.

@natasreficul
I just googled it and researched it. Instapot “LUX”was the very first model. That’s what I thought you were referring to when you said “base model.”
I would be interested to know where you found your information that the duo and/or Rio are the base models

@eric46350 The Lux has been discontinued. The Rio was expected to be replacing the Duo, not sure if that's still happening or if that was just talk among the experts. Rio is high pressure only like the Lux was.
Both the Duo and Rio are considered the base or basic models with other models having added features. The Easy would also be considered basic but it was a specialty pot made specifically for Walmart.
I think if you did a post asking which was the basic model most would say Duo and many would add the Rio.

@natasreficul Thanks for the clarification! I never heard any of the Instapot models referred to as “basic or base” I did some research before I purchased mine and number of years ago and I got the Lux 60 model ( Pioneer Woman) I really like it. It serves me well!

@eric46350 the Rio is the upgrade to the Duo. It's just a new sleeker design. That's how it was introduced when it first came out.
The Lux is an older discontinued model. One big difference between the Lux and Duo or Rio is that the Lux does not have a yogurt button.

I got both of mine through FB mktplace… 8qt was $35, and 6 qt was $20. Ive used regular pressure cookers on and off for over 40 years, I’m single and not really concerned about features, so much as that great price 😜

IP Pro. I don’t feel the wifi capability one is needed but that’s just me. I love the handles, flat bottom, steam diffuser, sous vide, timer for NPR, etc.

I have the DuoPlus V3 and absolutely love it. Does everything I want it to do. Yes, I do use all the features. If soup, I use soup button. I use the low-medium-high, depends what I’m cooking. Eggs-egg button. Rice, yogurt, bean/grain.
Sous vide used only once, but will try again.
I even use sterilize.
For salmon, low pressure, 1min from frozen. I use it all.

I don’t have one with handles but sorta wish I did as the flat bottom is nicer for sauté and can be used on the stovetop. I have a 6 qt and a 3 qt that I bought when I accidentally left the 6 in my camper. I tried the sous vide a couple of times and decided if I really want to sous vide cook I would buy the immersion stick that circulates the water. I like the looks of the Rio wide but there aren’t a lot of accessories for it that fit the different height. I use both of my pots quite a bit but not as much as some. I would look at what you really want to do with it because you can do most recipes in the cheaper models. Also look at how many you cook for, quantity of food you want to cook in it.

Back