Homemade Apple Sauce Made Easy: No Peeling Required!

@truthhound I only add 1/4 cup water but even then there's always too much liquid at the end. So I scoop a lot of it out before using the immersion blender. Then I freeze it to use the next time I cook ribs.

I love making applesauce in my Instant Pot. I use Gala or Fuji apples usually (the sweetest of the ones available to me in my regular grocery store), peel and core, cut into fourths, 1/4 cup water, cinnamon, cook 5 minutes, NPR until I remember, scoop out some liquid (because the apples make so much juice and I don't want my applesauce quite that liquidy) which I freeze for the next time I cook ribs, immersion blender, done.

@tal1956 I never weigh my apples. I just wing it. Applesauce is very forgiving. Someone else in this thread said she doesn't add any water at all, just washes the apple chunks and puts them in with those water drops on them. Apples make juice so quickly that you really don't need much water.

I will have to try this with the peels. We make applesauce (just organic apples, water, cinnamon and splash of lemon juice) in ours and my son loves it SO much more than what you buy in the store. Plus it is much healthier.

I never peel the apples, wash, core, section, cook with small amount of water until tender, not too long, put through the food mill, bag and freeze. Pink applesauce! Tastes great, only add stuff to it when getting ready to serve it.

@melancthon1521 I use Gala or Fuji which are the sweetest varieties that are readily available to me. But you can use any type, depends on what you like. I use the sweetest ones so I don't have to add any sugar.

Back