Instant Pot Pro Plus WiFi - Silicone Ring Purpose & Simmering Issues

I recently bought an Instant Pot Pro Plus wifi and am trying to learn how to use it. I have a couple of questions. First, what is the red silicone ring for? It has a clear one on it already. Second, if a recipe says reduce heat and simmer, how do I do that? I was using the saute mode and turned it down to low temp but it was still rapidly boiling as if it was on high. I've only used it twice, once to hard boil eggs using the 5-5-5 method and once last might to make a turkey and wild rice soup. Thanks in Advance!

1725772820217.png

1725772829460.png

The red seal is a spare. As far as the recipe, that does not sound like an Instant Pot recipe, it sounds like a stove top recipe. But saute would be the only way to do something like that.

Typically people use the red ring for spicey foods as it can be hard to get flavors out of the ring. One ring for sweet & savory and one ring for hot & spicey dishes.

@skla You can get the smells out easily. Silicone has scales/pores that trap odors when heated and they don't let them go until reheated. Put the silicone in a 250 to 350 degree F oven for 20 minute increments until it meets the sniff test.

@mkher ok some don’t want to go through all that….just have separate ring. There is an answer for most everything. Ty.

Start the sauté on low as it does heat up quickly. I also cover when using sauté as I am prepping at the same time and it retains some liquid and doesn’t burn as easily.

Silicone can hold strong odors, so having a second ring is a great thing. That way, your cheesecake doesn’t smell and taste like chili, or curry.
I always put the seal in the top rack of my dishwasher after every use, and rarely do smells linger, but some stronger ones take time to come out.

You get 2 rings. I use my red one for sweets and the clear for savory. Sure don't want to use the same one for both, food will turn out tasting nasty/odd. Look for Jeffery Eisners cookbooks, very helpful step by step and delicious recipes! Good Luck

@mbm_kdm I didn't realize the white one was already installed. I put the red one in and it didn't feel too secure to me but it didn't fall out when I tipped the lid down. NOW I see the white one! Glad I didn't ram it in there.

Pressure cooking is more than ingredients and time, it is process. Use reliable sources to learn the process, such as:
Rootitoot.com, Pressureluckcooking.com, Pressurecookrecipes.com, and Instantpot.com. Look at the tips and helps there, and the free recipes. Non-IP recipes do not easily translate to IP cooking without a lot of experience. Find an IP recipe on one of these reliable resources that is like what you want to cook, and use that. If a recipe says it is for the IP but tells you to simmer something, it is not a reliable recipe.

Back