IP Slow Cooker Fail: Lasagna Soup Edition - Crunchy Onions but Perfect Noodles!

@jabs I was going to say that I use slow cook at times when I have the time to throw ingredients in before work vs rushing to throw it in after work, waiting for pressure and then cook/release time, whereas I can just come home and eat right away if slow-cooked. 😜

@hanspeter there are MANY people who have said good things about the slow cooker function! And many of those who say bad things about it have never tried it, they just parrot what others have said.

@4sarahinc it also depends on what model IP you have. The older models , it did not work so well. The newer models, they have improved it and it does work better.
A lot of people who have said it doesn't work have said it for a good reason. Because they have the older model and it doesn't work well. A lot of people still have the older models. Everyone can't just run out and buy a new one to get an updated model with a better slow cooker function.

@1harud1 this is the comment I was waiting to hear!! I have an original IP, and yes, I’m not the type to replace stuff when what I have works just fine. This was the only thing I could assume was that over the years they’ve improved the slow cook function, which is why some people are commenting that it works fine for them. I’m guessing they have a newer model.

@tylynn I'm the same way. I have an original Lux that works wonderfully and I use it all the time . I also have a Duo , but only got it because I got a really great deal on it , and I wanted to make yogurt . I like having two of them. I use them both all the time.
They have made improvements in the newer models. But it's still not the same as a regular slow cooker. And it's never going to be a Crock-Pot . People don't understand the difference between a crock pot and a slow cooker. That's a big part of the problem too. And they don't understand how a slow cooker works. The IP slow cooker also has a smaller element than a regular slow cooker. Too many people wanted to be a Magic Pot.
But for someone to come on here and say that it doesn't work for someone because they haven't tried it and they're just parroting is hogwash.
And I can say that because I have an older model. I still prefer my regular crock pot.

@hanspeter I had success with the slow cook. I made a cabbage soup with ground turkey. You have to use the HIGH setting. It took all day, but I was going to be gone all day anyway. It was fine.
I used the Slow Cook only the one time. I will again if I need something to be ready when I get home.

@tylynn no. I mainly do the same time but stick to long low temp.
For me, it is about the long cooking temp.
I love short pressure cooking.
I think the IP combines this extremely well.

wait I meant to say I use the slow cooker on my IP more often. It’s a bigger pot then my older slow cooker. And that works just fine as well.
I mainly use the IP for pressure cooking.
And I also have a pressure oven. No one seems to talk about that much.

Why slow cook this recipe? The benefit of a pressure cooker is the ability to infuse spices throughout a dish quickly as though it had simmered all day.

@inhizstepz777 mainly cuz I was just following the slow cooker recipe I had. My slow cooker is not handy, but I keep my well-loved IP right on the counter, so decided to try using it as a slow cooker, knowing I might need to pressure cook it at the end. I ended up pressure cooking it for 4 minutes once I added the noodles and it turned out perfect.

@janes4244
1 24 oz jar spaghetti sauce
1 onion chopped, raw
1 can diced tomatoes
1 lb ground beef, cooked (I used 2 lbs)
1 32 oz beef broth
Add seasonings as you wish
Mix all ingredients, slow cook x 4 hours on high. (I set the IP to 6 hours instead)
Add broken up lasagna noodles (I used one 12 oz box mini Mafalda lasagna noodles)
Slow cook an additional 45 minutes in high (It was at this point I opted to pressure cook x 4 minutes and quick release)
It was pretty thick at this point, I added:
1 15 oz can beef broth
8 oz half and half
I also added ~1/4 cup sugar
I garnished the soup with a dollop of ricotta cheese and a handful of mozzarella cheese.

The IP slow cooker doesn't work like a crock pot at all.. I've seen that the slow cook on the IP is equal to keep warm on a crock pot, so things are not going to cook at all

Back