IP Slow Cooker Fail: Lasagna Soup Edition - Crunchy Onions but Perfect Noodles!

Actually the temperature settings are adjustable, but still don’t heat like a normal crock pot. I’ve not had luck using it as a slow cooker, but there’s been people commenting on this post that it works just fine for them and don’t make any adjustments. It’s a conundrum to me lol 😝

I’ve also read that the only heating element on an IP is at the bottom, whereas a slow cooker heats on the bottom and the sides. Which may contribute to it not working as effectively.

@uspenski Crock Pot changed things. It's not considered a slow cooker and when others changed to ceramic and heat on the sides they didn't have a generic name to use so Crock Pot became the generic term even though it's a brand name (Think Kleenex). Slow Cooker is stainless/aluminum and heats from bottom only. Crock Pot and similar ceramic heat from sides and bottom.

@natasreficul Then someone needs to tell Crock Pot that because according to their website they’re a brand of slow cookers…
And no other brand can call itself a “crock pot”.

@tylynn Well difference in elevations could be key. To my knowledge it would take longer for slow cookers to heat in higher elevation, and the instant pot isn't a typical slow cooker either.

This question may have been asked but why do people want to use the IP as a slow cooker? I cook pretty much everything in my two, even dishes I would have made in my slow cooker. I love the Keep Warm feature because if I want to make a soup in the morning, it will still be warm and safe to eat by dinner. Lasagna soup is great in the IP!

@needyuoo the reason I used the IP as a slow cooker is because it was a slow cooker recipe, my IP is sitting on my counter, whereas my slow cooker is not easily accessible because I barely use it and finally, there’s a button on the IP for slow cook. Figured I’d try it. I knew if all else failed I could always finish it up by pressure cooking it, which is exactly what happened. I’ve had my IP for 4 years, this is the second time I’ve tried using the slow cook button. It was my experiment of the day 😊

@tylynn - oh I understand that! What I do is search Pinterest for the same recipe for the Instant Pot. I have never tried the Slow Cook button, in part because I have heard it is not effective. I guess what I am trying to ask (not just you) is if people want to use it so they can throw things in it in the morning to have ready for dinner. I had my IP for quite awhile before I discovered what the Keep Warm button did. 🤣 it is awesome. Anyway hard to explain here, but that is the gist of my question!

@needyuoo I guess I just don’t get why a slow cook button even exists on an IP when it’s pretty much known it’s not effective. I keep thinking- it’s gotta work one of these days lol. The strange part to me is there’s folks on this thread saying it works perfectly fine for them using it as a slow cooker 🤔🤷‍♀️

@needyuoo someone just commented that they’ve improved the slow cook function with the newer models. That makes sense to me. I have the original model and won’t replace it when it works just fine as a pressure cooker.

@tylynn - that makes sense. Mine are older too, but work completely fine. Like you, I have a slow cooker in a cabinet and really only pull it out when I am cooking a lot of different things for company and so on.. I fill up both IPs and that!

1 24 oz jar spaghetti sauce
1 onion chopped, raw
1 can diced tomatoes
1 lb ground beef, cooked (I used 2 lbs)
1 32 oz beef broth
Add seasonings as you wish
Mix all ingredients, slow cook x 4 hours on high. (I set the IP to 6 hours instead)
Add broken up lasagna noodles (I used one 12 oz box mini Mafalda lasagna noodles)
Slow cook an additional 45 minutes in high (It was at this point I opted to pressure cook x 4 minutes and quick release)
It was pretty thick at this point, I added:
1 15 oz can beef broth
8 oz half and half
I also added ~1/4 cup sugar
I garnished the soup with a dollop of ricotta cheese and a handful of mozzarella cheese.
(This was a slow cooker recipe, I’m sure it can be converted to the IP)

IP Slow Cooker function is not worth the hassle. It doesn’t cook evenly as a traditional crockpot. Just keep your old crockpot on standby..😉

Back