One Hour Soup Prep: 6 Varieties and Mirepoix for the Week – A Time-Saving, Waste-Reducing Approach!

For chili: I usually use this recipe as inspiration for my chili, but omit the oil and tone down the chili powder as needed. I do like adding in bell peppers and just use more celery and carrots then recommended and dried rather than canned beans.

For the Mejadra recipe:
3 cups of green or black lentils
1 cup of brown rice
1-2 onions
2 cups of carrots
2 cups of celery
2 TBS Better than Bullion Vegetable flavor
1 tsp. Black pepper
2 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
1 small container of mushrooms sliced, optional
1/2 cup optional oil
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
About 8-9 cups of water for a very thick stew texture. Cook in the IP for 30 minutes.

I have cooked soup and frozen flat in freezer bags, but I like this so much better! Thank you for sharing!!!

To cut the plastic, get silicone freezer molds. I swear by them! I make a big pot of whatever and then freeze individual portions so I can thaw one bit at a time. Also does wonders for freezing bone broth!

@zacheus62 I was originally served it just as lentils with onions on top at a restaurant, but then started making it sort of as a very thick all in one stew. I have seen recipes with rice in it before that I modeled it after. I love the crunchy onions, but make most things in one pot. Sorry if that isn't how it's meant to be served.

Back