One Hour Soup Prep: 6 Varieties and Mirepoix for the Week – A Time-Saving, Waste-Reducing Approach!

This is great! I usually cook a big batch of one thing and then freeze the finished soup in serving-sized silicon molds. With your method, all the prep work is done at once. Definitely going to try this!

@liamkincaid, do you do not ‘cook’ anything. Just prep veggies etc and put in bags. For Better than Bullion, you just put a teaspoon or hoe much you want in the bag? Is this thinking correct? So, say I wanted to make stew, I know you’re vegetarian, I would prep all the veggies including potatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms, (no tomatoes??) & bag them & put in freezer. When ready , sauté meat, add veggie bag, and wala stew! 😊

@gibsla2 I don't cook everything. For us, time is a big factor so while sauteing the vegetables would convey some degree more flavor, I've been using this method of putting everything in the pot at once for years and it works well enough for us. If you want to add meat (or faux meat), you could either cook it before adding it to the bag or saute in the IP before putting it on the soup setting and add the frozen components. For the Better than Bullion, I probably use 1-2TBS.

Have you already shared your recipes for the soups? Like everyone has already mentioned, this is a fantastic idea. Prepped and ready to cook meals save so much time. Do you need to thaw before putting in to the IP??

For chili: I usually use this recipe as inspiration for my chili, but omit the oil and tone down the chili powder as needed. I do like adding in bell peppers and just use more celery and carrots then recommended and dried rather than canned beans.

Back