Perfect Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes: Tips, Hacks, and Recipe for a Thanksgiving Hit!

endisnigh

My Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes were a HUGE hit at Thanksgiving and I learned some great hacks to save time and labor while cooking ahead.
First — I was this many years old when I learned yesterday that you can peel the potatoes a day ahead and keep them in a bowl of water in the fridge so they don’t turn brown. What a convenience! All I had to do on the big day was cut them into quarters and plop them in the pot
Plan on 1/2 lb of potatoes per person. I used 4 lbs of Gold potatoes for the 8 people at our dinner. No draining is necessary with this recipe. The starch in the potatoes absorbs the broth and they became perfectly creamy
Tip: I made the potatoes at noon for our 5:30 dinner. I pulled the plug and waited till 4:30 to set the IP to Sauté to heat them up again. They were bubbling within a minute. I then switched to Keep Warm to hold till dinner ( I added another small splash of milk when they looked a little dry about 10 minutes before dinner.)
What raves! My nephew who normally says he doesn’t like mashed potatoes said he really liked these.
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
4-6 peeled Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered into evenly sized chunks
3 garlic cloves diced (I added a few more)
1 cup broth or bullion
4-5 tbsp butter to taste
Chopped fresh chives or parsley
Lawry’s Seasoned Salt and black pepper to taste
Milk as needed.
Peel potatoes (can be done 24 hours in advance and preserved in cold water. Don’t cut them into wedges yet. Drain and rinse potatoes when ready to use)
Put potatoes, garlic and broth into pressure cooker on manual for 5 minutes. Use quick release when done and check potatoes with a fork for doneness. Cook 2 minutes more if needed.
Release steam when potatoes are done and start mashing. They will look soupy at first but will quickly absorb the liquid and become super creamy. Add the rest of the ingredients to taste. I used a hand mixer at this point to get them extra smooth.
You can serve immediately or turn off the IP and wait till you are ready to serve. You can the reheat briefly using Sauté setting. Then switch to Keep Warm.

1726295158978.png

Something to consider.
I wash my Yukon Golds ( cutting out any bad spots) and cook at hp using broth 10 minutes full natural release.
Then they sit on keep warm til I’m ready. I mash with skins but the skins peel off really easily hot using a paring knife to just scrape it off also.
No monitoring, no drying out.

@mnmz Good point. I actually prefer skin-on mashed potatoes (esp red skin) so that’s even easier. But for Thanksgiving the old folks like the white and creamy version so I did the extra step.

Back