Understanding Pip Cooking: Why Isn't It Used More Often?

bornagainbelief

I am still struggling with the concept of pip cooking. Why wouldn’t you do this all the time? It would prevent the burning issue and you could put more water in if you were concerned about the water evaporating. You would not need to worry about layering or stirring. Am i just not understanding this method?

I've only had the burn alert twice and the first time was just me learning, the second time I figured it wouldn't work but I tried anyway. Layering instead of stirring isn't complicated. The burn alert is easy to avoid if you understand what to do, but if you prefer to do the PIP method, go for it. I prefer to just have one pot to clean 🙂

I use PIP for rice, I have a 6qt and an extra 3qt liner. I can cook in the 3qt more rice than what I need in the moment, leave the leftovers in the 3qt liner (in the fridge), and have the IP ready with the 6qt liner for whatever is next. Same with yogurt. Hope it helps.

@mopelola8 I have a 6 qt Viva. I put in the rack that came with the IP, and then put in a 7” Bundt pan that is an instant pot brand I got on Amazon filled with batter like for banana bread. Put foil over the pan and poke the foil into the hollow spoke that comes up from the pan so steam circulates better. High pressure 35-40 minutes, quick release. I’ve had to experiment with the time, as if it goes too long the cake comes out dry. I also have a 7” spring form pan that I can use. Also I’ve made cornbread in a pot that fits inside too. Be sure the pot fits loosely. Best not to use pyrex though. I steamed the cornbread then browned it up with the air fryer lid. Mr Google will be your friend for methods to bake in your instant pot as well as the files here.

It’s just not needed for everything, I guess if you want something else to clean you can lol. I also use sauté a lot so it would be a lot of moving stuff from pot to pot.

I’ll have to consider this. I’ve had burn notice a few times when it made no sense whatsoever. Often happens when sautéing . One time I got a code that suggested I might be using a non IP pot on the heating element. I wouldn’t even know how to do that! 😆

Back