Understanding Instant Pot Timing: What 'Instant' Really Means and Tips for New Users

@burning___bush it totally depends on how much your cooking (eg: a full pot of soup is going to take longer to come to pressure then cooking a few potatoes) and temperature of ingredients you are using makes a difference in how long it will take to come to pressure.

The first time I used mine we ate dinner at 9:00 at night. I got home from work around 6. I find it much more practical to use mine now that I'm retired.

For someone who has mobility issues and chronic pain while standing not to mention OCD, the electric pressure cooker or Instant Pot fits the bill! And although it may not be instant as defined in the dictionary, in my opinion is much quicker than stovetop & oven cooking! It has greatly helped me because once the lid is on & locked I can walk away from the process…no watching or stirring, opening and closing the oven door and usually within 15 to 45 minutes I have a delicious meal to eat with minimal cleanup!

For the types of things pressure cooking was designed for, that would otherwise require 8-12 hours slow cooking, it’s certainly more instant

I’ve used pressure cookers for decades but for some reason my new IP is still unused after a month. At least it’s out of the box.

The time it takes to get up to pressure was a rude awakening for me. I’m adjusting my expectations now. I can steam veggies in a regular pot much faster. Now I’m saving the instant pit for meats (chicken especially) & large quantities.

It's definitely a learning curve, what the actual total time will be from start to plating. I'm allowing extra time, and letting it keep warm. Also jotting notes about timing with the recipes I've tried.

Made beef stroganoff las week with frozen stew meat. The stove top recipe had saute, cook on top for 1 hr, then cook on top for another hour. Sauted in IP stead/ pressure cooked 15 mins and was sitting down to dinner in less than 40 mins. total.

I find putting cold or frozen items on a trivet or doing pot and pot on the trivet with the water underneath allows it to come to pressure so much faster and no burn notices.

Back