Cooking a Chuck Roast in an Instant Pot: Timing and Consistency Questions

dassark

Questions
1- I have never used my IP as a slow cooker. I have a 3 lb chuck roast with potatoes and carrots cooking on slow cook/high. How long will it take to get done?
2- Cream of mushroom is added to the roast with other spices-is this too thick for cooking under presser?
TIA

Usually it takes about six to eight hours for a roast to slow cook on low. On high, you just divide it — so three to four.
I have no idea about the pressure cook time.

@nessayo
Do you normally add your potatoes and carrots from the beginning.
Also I am assuming as slow cooking would be vented not sealed, is that correct?

@nessayo remember that that IP slow cook feature takes 25% longer than a traditional slow cooker. And High on the IP is like Low on a slow cooker. I'd allow 6 to 8 hours

@nessayo that is true in a traditional slow cooker, but the IP is not a traditional slow cooker. Slow cook high is a lower temp than low on a traditional slow cooker so takes longer than the low cook time, not less

@dassark It’ll probably need longer than 4 hours. A regular slow cook roast is generally 6-8 hours. I think you’d need that on the slow cook function of the IP but make sure the temp is on high.

I would take the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach and cook it on high in a slow cooker per the recipe. If you don't have a slow cooker, then look up recipes for pressure cooked pot roast.

@cidneey That's why I said to look for a pressure cook roast recipe. I used to do the one with cream soup all the time in the crockpot. It is delicious. But it isn't going to be tender in four hours in the IP on slow cook. There are some really good pressure cook roast recipes, however.

You need to add 15 minutes per longest time in a traditional slow cooker recipe. So if you normally do 8 hours on low, it will be 12 hours on high

Back