Do You Bake in Your Instant Pot? Moist vs. Dense Results – Your Tips?

Question for the users... If you repeatedly make cakes and breads in your IP, do you do so because you like very moist/dense baked goods or have you figured out how to do so without the result being moist and/or dense?

Pressure cookers use steam to create pressure. Results will always be denser and wetter than they would be in a dry cooking environment under normal atmospheric pressure, just because of how they work.

There's no way to do it without them being moist/ dense. The IP cooks by steaming, which will always make a moist baked good. In order to have a dryer, airier baked good dry heat is needed.

Try British style puddings (sticky toffee, spotted dick, etc.). These are supposed to be steamed so do great in the IP.

@rnai I just watched James May's cooking show on Amazon Prime. He made spotted dick which interested me...although it was on the stove top...but still steamed. And I have a great recipe for sticky toffee cake that's outta this world...maybe I could try converting it to an IP recipe.

I do it because I like the dense moisture, for example in a chocolate cake. If I want a normal baked cake I will use my oven. But I enjoy the difference making it in the IP sometimes.

I’ve always wanted to make a steamed British style holiday pudding! You’ve given me great ideas! I wonder how a fruitcake would do? And yes, there are tasty fruitcakes. It’s the dry ones that give them all the bad rep.

My first banana cake was dense and moist so I tried again with one less banana and it was exactly like my oven baked version.

Back