How to Make Bone Broth from Rotisserie Chicken: A Lesson Learned and a Success Story!

I have also read that I could use the bones again and do this one more time but I have so much broth from this batch I won’t be doing that.

I have square and round silicone trays that hold approx 1/2 c. I use those for the broth to freeze it, then into a gallon size baggie afterwards. I also have 2 dogs, so I leave the onions out of the mix and just season more with the rest. Once I drain the broth from everything else and it's cooled completely, I smoosh it all up and they get a few meals from it. The bones actually just smoosh so easily after cooking this long. Oh, I always add in about 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar.

@mrlow what does the apple cider vinegar do? Is that just for Insta pot broth?
I’ve made broth just on the stove top and never used apple cider vinegar before 🤔

A word of caution, when using the broth for cooking. BECAUSE, the Costco chicken is ALREADY pre-seasoned, once you have made the bone broth from it, there is really NO REASON to further season, ANY RECIPE you use the broth in. The first couple of times, I tried making something using the Costco Chickern for making the bone broth, it was WAY TOO SALTY! I have found this to be true, with EVERYTHING, I have used the broth in, and in ALL of my recipes, that I use the bone broth in, I LEAVE OUT, WHAREVER, salt/ or seasoning is called for. The broth provides both the seasoning AND flavor to what ever recipe I am making. Also, IF you are used to making turkey or chicken stock on the stove top in a stock or crock pot, the consistency of the bone broth done in the Instantpot, will be much thicker and have more of a gelatinous, consistency to it.

@lindalmusic This is also true when buying dry spices, the first ingredient is salt. I started mixing my own years ago but now you can find no sodium spices in the store

@jolson INDEED! We grow and dry our own herbs, but buy spices as needed, from bulk sources at our local grocers. It's RARE, that we make a recipe, ( we cook from scratch, using non-processed food, and fresh canned/frozen, chicken/salmon/tuna/wild game meat, garden grown veggies)
that calls for an herb/seasoning ingredients that we don't already have on hand.

I never EVER throw away the carcass until I've made my broth. My mom taught me that and the first thing I do after Thanksgiving is to get that turkey carcass boiling.

Another idea would be to freeze in jumbo silicone muffin pans. They are about 1 cup each. I do that and once frozen put into bags. I love making my own broth. I still buy broth from Costco when they have it cheap. You can control the salt by making your own which I love.

I love the comment about the salt and seasoning content of the broth when using store bought rotisserie chicken. This is good to know!

Back