Instant Pot 'Food Burn' Message Appearing Before Full Pressure – Any Solutions?

nasanna

I have been using my instant pot for a few years and never had any issues with it until recently.
Whenever I make recipes (other than just plain white rice) in it, the “food burn” message comes up before it’s fully pressurized.
The first couple times, the food was burned on the bottom. But in the last case this happened, it didn’t have anything burned at the bottom, but still went off.
Does anyone know why this is happening?

1726295221464.png

@nasanna, it’s the first thing that should be done when an Instant Pot is purchased, and whenever it starts giving problems. Basically, it’s putting the minimal amount of water called for the particular model and setting it to high pressure for a minute or so, then Quick Releasing. If all goes fine, the pot is probably working fine and it’s something with the recipes that are trying to be made that’s causing issues. If the water test fails as well, then you would need to submit a ticket to or call Instant Pot customer service, telling them how the water test failed and they will get back in touch with you to try and figure out what is going on with your IP.

It doesn't have to be burned to trigger the error. It triggers when the temperature sensor under the bottom of the liner pot detects temperature above about 285°F. With normal pressure cooking the temp won't go above about 245°.
I'd suggest test with just water and look for steam leaking or condensation around the edge of the lid or from the valves. If it's leaking, the seal where the leak is occurring may need to be cleaned or replaced.

I agree with what everyone seems to be saying. Do the water test. If there is steam leaking anywhere, your pot will not pressurize and you will get the burn notice. You could definitely have the seal out of position or it may just be stretched out. They do need replacing every so often. Be sure to order the official IP brand replacements. Sometimes, something gets stuck in the seal, which blocks it from sealing. The water test will be a good starting place!

Back