Instant Pot Saute Function Issues: Temperature Fluctuates and Doesn't Stay Consistent

panda1990

I'm new to instant pot, but I have been having issues with saute function. (Instant pot duo ultimate lid)
I program it to say do 10 minutes on level 3 saute, it pre-heats fine, I add the food and start cooking, but it doesn't maintain the temperature. Flipping over french toast, both sides getting the same time, the other side barely cooked at all in the same time. It's like the temperature cuts out soon after preheating and doesn't go as high after that. I tried turning the temperature up, but it barely did anything. The temperature and timer still shows, but yeah, the temperature just doesn't remain constant.
It isn't just this one time either. Even for short cooking on saute it doesn't maintain the heat. Is there something I am not understanding about this, or is it likely that there is something amis with my pot?

@holblevgirl It has been needing more time for cooking things, but only because the temperature in the pan drops significantly after a short time of cooking (after preheating and adding food). Even giving it more time, the temperature doesn't seem nearly as high as when it started, oil isn't bubbling nearly as much or at all. The pot still says its cooking, but it feels more like its just not maintaining the heat after the preheating is done.

@panda1990 I fear the problem may be that the IP isn't intended to work like an electric skillet.. Instant Pot saute works to brown food and then pressure cook, but it's heating element wasn't created to function for frying..

I have never set a time for Sauté. It defaults to 30 minutes and I leave it at that, and just shut it off when I'm done. If you set it for a short time, like 10 minutes, and it takes longer to cook than that, it will just shut off. I've never had it shut off before I was done cooking when on the default 30 minutes.

Are you allowing it to heat until the display reads “HOT” before adding your oil/butter and food? Be sure to press the sauté button (or adjust button) to get to the “More” setting at the beginning.

@kdot32 I let it pre-heat before adding the food. The instant pot I have tells me when i should add the food after the preheating, so I don't think Im doing that bit wrong. It's more after that stage, that things don't seem to be working as I would have expected.

I have an ultimate lid and I start saute in it straight away whilst it is preheating. When it reaches cooking time I tend to turn the temperature up so it stays high.

Back