Perfect Greek-Style Yogurt at Home: No Straining Needed!

xuewen

So excited! I like my yoghurt thick like Greek Yoghurt and I always had to strain it for few hours or evernight.
Yesterday I added 3 Tbsp of dry nonfat milk to about 1/2 gallon plus 1 cup of milk before I did the boil. Warmed it to 185 degrees then cooled it to 110 degrees, added my starter from previous week, yoghurt setting for 8 hours then put in the refrigerator overnight. Today I was getting ready to strain it and is just as thick as Greek yoghurt and no whey. I normally get only the jar on the left plus 1/4 cup that I save as starter for next time. This time I got 2 big jars because I didn’t have to strain the whey out. Yummy!

1725773590447.png

1725773597391.png

@nutsnboltz I make it every week. Just my husband and I eating it everyday. Now that I have more I will use some in some recipes. In the past I used to make a gallon of milk and strain it so I only got about 3 of these 32 Oz jars. It never went bad on me but I prefer making it weekly

I’ve always done cold start. I recently did the boil method for the first time, and found I prefer the taste (not to mention it’s cheaper). Do you find by adding the powdered milk it changes the taste?

@jane123 I usually make cold start, but when I began, I used fat free milk and added fat free powdered milk (1/3 to 1/2 cup per half gallon). I couldn’t taste the difference, but I would encourage you to keep a little log and experiment with the quantity of the powdered milk that you like. Be very sure to thoroughly mix it in to the cold milk before you bring it up to 180 — mix longer than you think you need to. It’s kind of yucky to find settled milk powder at the bottom of your pot or container.

@mattb2jp I only use 2%. I think you may have misunderstood my comment. I wasn’t asking about the difference in taste between cold start and boil but rather if there was noticeable taste difference between boil method WITH AND WITHOUT powdered milk.

@jane123 no, I understood, but apparently didn't explain my answer ... The taste is fine, imo, but I found the texture to be a balancing act. Is 1/3c thick enough? Is 1/2 c thick, but not smooth enough?

@mattb2jp very good advise. I whisk it in about a cup of milk in a separate large measuring cup, then I strain it as I pour it into the pot to be sure there are no lumps.

@jane123 I can’t tell the taste being much different but I did notice it’s creamier. I let it process 8 hours and it’s perfect. I never liked the tartness of store bought yoghurt except Fage.
That is the one I have purchased for my starter originally.

@telsa you will love it. I was straining before but sometimes I have done it too long and the yoghurt was too thick so I had to add a little whey back and mix it.
This time by adding the powder milk I didn’t have to do that and I saved the few hours of straining it.

I just want to clarify, after adding the starter, I did the yoghurt setting for 8 hours, then I refrigerated overnight but didn’t need to strain it.

If I do the fairlife method with just fairlife and starter can I add 3Tbsp milk powder to get a thicker yogurt? That would be great because I strain away a lot of whey.

@wantstoknowjesus I have not used that method but it would be worth to try a small amount so you won’t waste much if it doesn’t work. On the other hand if it works you will be a happy camper 😀

Back