Proofing Bread in an Instant Pot: 6 Qt vs. 8 Qt, Preheating, and Best Practices

floorgoli

I searched in-group how to proof your bread instant pot
I presume the instant pot is 6 Qt and u need the yogurt button or
the Sous Vide button and it makes one loaf of bread usually 3 to 31/2 cup flour.
I usually make 2 loaves (7 cups )at time
Will 6qt proof the dough or would you used the 8qt.?
And do u preheat IP pan that you oil first before You put the dough in.?
In the winter my kitchen is cool and proof my bread in oven with the light on.which takes 2 hours
Thank you in advance

All I know for sure is dont put the ip lid on because if the dough rises up too much the lid will get stuck so use a regular pan lid or a plate

@daniel4confusion not just don't latch it, don't use it at all. Even if it's just sitting there ... if the dough rises enough to push the pin, it will lock. Best to use a plate, a towel, or any lid from a pot that would set loosely on top.

The dough is going to double in size. See which insert is at least twice the size of the dough you're starting with. I'd use the 8-qt just to be sure. DON'T use the pressure lid to cover it! A dinner plate works well or you may have a lid in your pots and pans that will work.

My recipe is 6 cups of flour, approx 3 cups water, 1/4 cup shortening and then the yeast, salt and sugar are small amounts. I use the 6 quart and a glass lid as I want to see through it. Pre-instant pot I let it rise 1 hour, with IP on yogurt/less setting, 30 minutes. Hope that helps. I don't preheat before greasing with oil.

I once made the mistake of proofing my recipe for five pounds of flour for challah in a 6-quart IP. Thankfully I did use a glass lid!
I now cut the recipe in half to 2.5 pounds of flour; that proofs fine in the 6-quart.

IMPORTANT, if you don't have the glass lid then use a dinner plate perhaps oiled underneath in case dough rises that high. I tried making bread for over a year without success until i got the instant pot for proofing. Not sure about the double dough. I usually make 1 loaf at a time. I don't see why it wouldn't work though.

Back