Instant Pot Egg Bites: Cottage Cheese Substitute & Mold Covering Tips

omatrisha

Hi all - I tried searching through recent posts, but apparently I need things spelled out more concretely than the rest of the world
😉

Instant Pot egg bites - I just ordered molds on Amazon which should arrive today. Two questions
1) I see most recipes call for cottage cheese, but I found a recipe without. I don’t like cottage cheese otherwise and am wondering if I really have to buy it just for this recipe. Has anyone tried the water/eggs only recipe?
2) Covering the molds - I would like to use both molds to make a double batch at one time. They come with silicone lids, but that doesn’t feel like I should cook with those on (or do it?). Do you cover with anything? Some recipes make it look like they used foil. Someone mentioned parchment paper. Cover both layers or just the bottom if I’m stacking?
Thanks! Picture of the molds I bought for reference.

1726294880241.png

I have some with silicone lids and they cooked alright, they seem to turn out better when I cover with aluminum foil. Cover both layers so condensation doesn’t flood them.

@omatrisha have you tried any recipes from Amy and Jacky pressure cook recipes? I've liked all of them so far. They have a recipe for egg bites. I haven't tried it yet. Hooked on chicken wings and their pork carnitas right now.

I don’t like cottage cheese either. But I’ve tried the recipes without the cottage cheese and it’s not nearly as fluffy and smooth texture as with it. I just use a food processor and blend the hell out of it and then use it that way and they come out perfect every time

@omatrisha my mistake was I worked at Starbucks at the time and had a comparison of what I was looking for and sans cottage cheese wasn’t it lol. I hope it’s different for you!

You don't taste the cottage cheese. It make the eggs fluff up. Get a small low curd version. I just bought one with the silicon lid, you can apparently use it .When I made them before I used foil. Parchment would get soggy I'd think.

@omatrisha same here. Once you blend everything together, there is no cottage cheese or yogurt taste. (I’m not a fan of Greek yogurt and had the same concerns as you do regarding the cottage cheese)

I have that exact same set, and I cook with the lids on. I find that if you leave them on loosely it works better because sometimes your egg bites will have an odd shape if you have the lid sealed. And l make egg bites for my grandson frequently without cottage cheese, so definitely not necessary.

Back