Instant Pot Egg Bites: Cottage Cheese Substitute & Mold Covering Tips

@lawawa2 I was hoping someone would have suggested ricotta. My preference is fresh (pieces cut from a 1kg wheel). What Australia calls "smooth ricotta" (in convenient tubs) is quite granular, compared to fresh.

I used sour cream( in place of cottage cheese) a little pico or salsa a little chorizo, and shredded cheese for one version. It's not that i don't like cottage cheese, just didn't think i'd care for it in egg bites. I have done one with cottage cheese, Rootitoot's recipe for egg bites gives a lot of different things u can use instead of it) but i did like them (not as much as my mexican version though🤪)
Definitely cover them, or they get water logged and mushy. But be careful to not overfill, because they will expand.

Breakstone's and Daisy both have single serve containers of cottage cheese. I only checked Walmart and don't know if you have one close. I'm sure there are other brands that have single serve containers! Good luck!

I make double batches all the time in my 8 qt. I used small curd cottage cheese about 1 cup. You’ll never know. I am going to try some with Greek yogurt.

I haven’t tried it but you could try some heavy cream or milk to make them more fluffy if you don’t want to purchase cottage cheese.

You need some kind of dairy product. I like half-n-half. Yogurt or sour cream works too rather than cottage cheese. You can use silicone lids, but not regular plastic. Cover with foil even with lids.

I make double batches all the time, cover with lid. And I use my homemade Greek yogurt, delicious! My husband loves them and make double batch every two weeks. Enjoy

I use this one And adapt as I want based on what I have in the fridge! I don’t use cottage cheese I cover with aluminum foil and stagger the molds so the holes don’t line up with each other. Enjoy.

You can’t tell it’s cottage cheese… you can successfully use ricotta too. I do mine on “steam” setting. The bites keep over a week. And I do use my lid that came with the mold. I like them as a quick filler when my stomach is empty. My sister in law warms them up from refrigerator temp in the microwave for 30 seconds

I’ve not used mine to make eggs before but I use them to make muffin bites and I just cover with the lid that came with them, double stack them and everything’s good to go. Never had any problems.

@magath - You’re welcome! I’ve found that with using the packets if Martha White muffin mix, one packet fills one egg bite mold so I generally make two different flavors each time I make them.

Back