Instant Pot Malfunction - Pressure Seal Issues and No Receipt for Return

jackie789

I got an instant pot for my birthday. I’ve used it l3 times, the pressure seal won’t work. When trying to get to pressure it eventually says “burn food” and when I hit the vent button no steam is released, so I’m assuming it doesn’t seal. It’s brand new, but because I didn’t buy it I have no receipt. I didnt even save the box. I have no way of returning it, and it feels a waste to trash it. Is there any way to fix it? The rubber seal looks to be in place.. anything else I could do?
Also, just in terms of replacement parts or exchanges, it’s the pioneer woman one that is no longer being sold so I can’t just buy a new lid because it’s different I think.

Check the knob when you close the top When closing the little button on top check if it's sealed or steaming. If no steam escapes it must not be on sealed.

The first thing to do is the Water Test, to check if the pot is working properly. It tests the pot AND whether you are using it properly.
The Water Test is simply to pour a cup of water (or more) into the pot and run a pressure cook cycle for a minute or two. Does it leak steam? Does it reach pressure?
When folks ask if you are using enough "thin liquid" they mean "watery liquid" since oil can be thin. Water is essential to pressure cooking.

@manycoloured interesting.. I’ve tried only 2 recipes. Both specific to instant pot but neither called for water? One was an egg recipe, like eggs ham veggies, to make like an instant pot scramble. It came from the cookbook with my instant pot. The other was meatballs with sauce from my mom, I’ll have to ask her if she uses water and just forgot to tell me.. so weird. I’ll try the water test and see what happens

Be sure the rubber gasket is inserted correctly. The “thicker” edge should be pointing to the center of your lid.
If it is an 8 quart model, add a cup of extra water. Also, are you using a recipe for the model you have? I used a recipe from the 3 qt mini book and I had the burn warning. If I had doubled the recipe and added extra water it would have been fine in my 8 quart.

Back