Overcoming Instant Pot Anxiety: Meat Cooking & Safety Concerns

thebigpan

I’ve had my Instant Pot for a while and my goal this summer is to get over my fear of it!
Two things I worry about-
1. I’m a little neurotic about meat and making sure it cooks fully. Without being able to actually see it cooking, I worry that it isn’t or something is wrong! Is there a way to make sure it is working correctly? Have you had any issues with finding meat hasn’t been fully cooked?
2. I’m scared of the venting/sealing process and that the pressure could be dangerous. How can I confirm that it’s all set up correctly and safe?
Please help me get over my IP fears! Thank you in advance!

If the meat isn’t fully cooked, you cook it a little longer. What’s to be afraid of? You would do the same on stovetop or oven.

@danny4j the difference is in the pressure release instead of only lift the lid and check and close on the stove top!
So do you quick release all the time and then let do new pressure again?
I usually don't use quick release, so the process would be extrenely long to open and pressure again. Therefore if unsure, I set a longer time as maybe needed. And that's safer but bad for good meat, too.
So how do you do it?

@fatherjacob always natural release meat. Quick release will make it tough because it loses moisture quickly.
if you cook it and it's not done, you just turn the pot back on and go through the process again. But she usually don't need as long a Time. Or take it and put it in your oven to finish .
If you follow a tested recipe from a reliable source you shouldn't have an issue.

1. Only when meat was extra thick. I just cooked it a little longer.
2. I found instruction videos. They helped ease my nerves.
I think you will be pleased once you try it.

1. You can always check the meat with a thermometer after it is cooked to make sure it’s done.
2. The pot has safety features to prevent overheating, too high pressure build up, lid leak, etc.

@thebigpan start with the water test then hard boiled eggs to help with your fears and to learn the process without wasting money when you are testing it. You’ll build confidence and then you’ll be able to move forward with other recipes!

Number one is to follow trusted recipes until you get the hang of it. There are names you will see mentioned a lot on here like Jeffrey Eisner, Ruth McCusker (Rootitoot), Amy & Jacky, Six Sisters, Adventures of a nurse, I'm sure people will chime in with others. They publish recipes that have been tested and cooked a lot by members of this group, so you can be sure that your meat is cooked fully. As far as the pressure release nervousness, I completely get that as I was scared at first too! The best way to get over your fears is to do the water test. This should be explained in the manual or you can find it on sites like Jeffrey Eisner's Pressure Luck). It's where you just put a cup of water in, seal it and cook it for a while and then release the pressure. If you're scared at first use a wooden spoon to push the valve over if yours has a manual release valve. It's really going to be wonderful once you get over your fear!!

Watch some how to and getting started videos on YouTube. Do the water test (YouTube will show you how) to familiarize yourself with how to use the controls, set it to seal, and how to release pressure. Browse pressureluckcooking.com, pressurecookrecipes.com and this page to find a recipe that appeals to you and get started. There is absolutely nothing to be afraid of.

Welcome to the group! Everyone is super nice and is always willing to help answer questions or recommend great recipes. I highly recommend that you watch Jeffrey Eisner's "How to Get Started With Your Instant Pot" video on YouTube. It was a big help to me. I made his Pulled Pork as my first dish and it was so easy. He has a website, called Pressure Luck Cooking, with 100s of easy and delicious recipes with step-by-step instructions and videos.

Welcome to cooking in the IP! You can cook so many wonderful meals in your instant pot! Watch some videos on YouTube for your model of IP. Here are a few hints: Read the manual and do the water test first to help you get used to the settings and functions. No matter what you are pressure cooking, you always need about a cup of water or thin liquids in the 6-qt and about 1-1/2 to 2 cups in the 8-qt. When the IP is cooking, it counts down the minutes from where you set it. When it begins to pressure down, if the keep warm light is on, it will count up to let you know how many minutes since it quit cooking. Then you need to follow the recipe instructions for the type of release. Meats need at least 10-15 minutes natural pressure release (NPR) and maybe more to be tender. You don’t have to do anything for the NPR, just let the pressure naturally decrease. A quick release (QR) means you turn or push down the pressure release knob (depending on the model). You may want to use a wooden spoon to avoid getting burned as it releases steam. A controlled release is done with starchy vegetables or when your pot is full of soup. You turn the knob in short bursts to let out a little bit of steam at a time. Most pastas and rice need a quick release but they will spew starchy water like a geyser and you will be cleaning everything around your pot if you don’t control the release. Now please don’t let this scare you! It is safe as long as you take the precautions. The lid will NOT open while there is pressure in the pot. Look for the pin on top to be up above the level of the lid when there is pressure. The pin drops once the pressure is released and the lid will open.
At the top of this page is a little magnifying glass symbol. Touch that and type in your main ingredients then scroll up for recipe options. There is also an Instant Brands app that you can get for your smart phone. I have been cooking for over 50 years and the Instant Pot has made it fun again!
On some models, you can change the sauté setting to low-medium-high by pressing the sauté button more than once. Also, for pressure cooking, you can change from low pressure to high pressure by pressing the button twice.
For the slow cook function, heat everything up with the sauté feature as you are adding ingredients. Also, only use the slow cook “high” setting because low is basically a keep warm feature in the slow cook function. I like the fact that I can brown the meats or onions and peppers with the sauté feature before cooking (which my slow cooker can’t do). Even when you pressure cook, if you use the sauté feature until the ingredients are hot, your IP will come to pressure faster. After you sauté in the pot be sure to deglaze it well by adding the water or broth and scraping off all the little browned bits of food before you pressure cook. This will prevent the dreaded burn notice! Also, layer ingredients according to the recipe and keep tomato products at the top to avoid burning.
And last but not least, have a system to prevent putting water or other ingredients into the pot without the liner. Write “NO” in big letters on the inside label or put a plate over the pot until you can get the liner back into place. Wishing you many years of happy cooking with your Instant Pot! Some easy recipes: https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/easy-instant-pot.../

Use a thermometer to check if the meat is done, if you’re worried.
And the Pot has safety features that won’t allow to be dangerous. It won’t blow up, and you can’t open it if it’s still under pressure.

Back