Popcorn in 6 Qt Instant Pot – Tips for Better Results

sugarloaf9225

I was in the mood for a snack & so I tried popcorn
🍿
in my 6 qt IP for the st time. I used Pressure Luck’s recipe using the products in the picture. My IP, on sauté, only has ‘normal’. I added 2 tbls oil. Heated oil till IP indicated ‘HOT’. Added a few kernels but only a couple popped. I added the 1/2 C of kernels. I gave it sufficient time after hearing the last ‘Pop’ before shutting off & removing lid. I’d say more than a 1/4C kernels didn’t pop. What did was rather tough. Has anyone got a way they like that will give me better results??? TIA
😊

1725771328327.png

1725771336085.png

I tried it in my instant pot once and it didn’t work well.
So I tried the same method on the stove in a pot and it works well.
Instant pot should be similar.
2tbsp coconut oil(proper flash point your oil may have been the problem)
Stove on medium high
Add 2 kernels
Put lit on slightly ajar to let out any steam
When those 2 pop. Add another 1/2-3/4 cup of popcorn depending on your pot size.
Shake up a bit to coat in oil.
Leave lid ajar
Shake a few times.
When popping slows down to very little. Remove from heat and dump in a bowl so it doesn’t burn.
Works awesome.

I put mine on saute until it says hot, then I add 2 Tbs of coconut oil. Once it gets hot I add like 3 kernals after they pop I put 1/2 c in and give it a little shake and put my glass lid on.

@sugarloaf9225 I have better luck with Jolly Time white kernel than with the Orville R. brand. I use coconut oil and have had really good luck with Jolly Time. Tried OR a time of two and had more that didn’t pop than with JT.

One of my pots has the handles and the flat bottoms. I feel that the flat bottom allows me to spread the kernels out in a single layer and more of them pop.

Back