Why Choose an Instant Pot Dutch Oven Over a Pressure Cooker? Seeking Justification for Adding One to My Kitchen Gadgets

saved88

I don't understand the IP Dutch Oven. Why wouldn't you just use your IP/pressure cooker? Is there something that you can't do in the IP that you can make with this? I love kitchen gadgets, so please help me justify adding one to my arsenal.

1725768347516.png

@oranget it’s like a regular pot. I don’t like a lot of dishes that are made in the instant pot. After awhile they all taste the same. I do use it as a slow cooker too.

Depends on the flavors you want. I don’t like boiled chicken but a roasted chicken is 🤤
I like steak chili but it won’t thicken the same in a pressure cooker.
These are two different styles of equipment. I wouldn’t compare them as similar eventhough they’re from the same company.
Have you used a regular Dutch oven before either in your oven or maybe in a coal/wood pile while camping? It would be better to compare it to that but it’s electric so no need to put it in the oven.

Many people find the slow cooking function on the Instant Pot pressure cooker models isn't great. On high is really like on low on a typical slow cooker.

The crockpot function on the instapot does not work as well as a normal crockpot. Does not get as hot or warm the same way. Takes longer as well. I always use my regular crockpot when needing to slow cook. This item is made for slow cooking and a pressure cooker is made for fast cooking. Two different things.

Instant brand makes all kinds of appliances, not just pressure cookers. You use whichever appliance your meal calls for at the time.

Valid question. I have had my IP for years (way before the air fryer lid was even thought of) and I use it for everything. But there are times that “low and slow” creates a better dish. I use my IP Dutch Oven for all my roasts now! My family actually did a taste test if JE’s Mississippi Pot roast done in the IP and the slow cooker way, and hands down the “low and slow” provided more depth of flavor and more tender meat!
Besides, it’s RED!
(That was enough for me) *mic drop

The main understanding is the Instant Pot NAME is a brand name for a very popular electric pressure cooker. The Dutch oven is a new slow cooker (crockpot) from the same brand name. Different appliances for different types of cooking from the same brand.

I have two IPs, one with the airfry lid and a mini without. It’s often useful to have two. If I liked slow cooking, I would consider this as a second pot - I don’t because I have always been a pressure cooker cook rather than a ‘let’s get dinner ready before breakfast’ cook!

Back