Essential Instant Pot Tips & Common Questions Answered for New Users

The sun has always worked for me in getting the smells out, sometimes I have to leave it outside a little longer tho

I didn’t see the tomato sauce warning (maybe I overlooked it). Tomato sauce is not a thin liquid and will not help it come to pressure. If you are doing anything with a tomato based sauce then that sauce needs to go on top and NOT get stirred in. Otherwise it may not come to pressure and you very likely will get a burn notice.

I think I remember seeing this helpful post before, as you said. I am going to share to my aunt as she just began using hers.
Thank you

“Instant” Pot doesn’t mean instant. It’s instant when compared to slow cooking. And it’s not the quickest and/or best method for cooking everything. Want a perfect medium rare steak? Cook it on the grill or in a pan. And you’re almost never going to get vegetables al dente. They’ll usually be really soft and mushy when they come out, like in a stew. Also, a 6qt pot needs at least 1 cup of fluid. 8qt pot needs at least 1.5 cups of liquid.

Thanks for a great list! It would be much to have these posts pound somewhere. Could you add pasta to your list? Especially gluten free pasta? How to release without getting pasta water all over your kitchen?
Also the formula for cooking pasta? How to slow release?
Have you thought of writing a book?

@lorilyons6 for Al dente pasta this is what I have learned.
Take the lowest time recommended on the box/bag or bag if the number is odd, round down and divide in half and subtract one minute. Pressure cook on high. Use 5 minutes natural release and then release any remaining pressure.
For gluten free pasta here are the times as far as I am concerned
Spaghetti- 0 minutes on high pressure +8 minutes natural release
Small macaroni- minutes at high pressure and +10 minutes natural release
Penne- 1 minute at high pressure and +9 minutes natural release
Smaller shape pastas 1 minute at high pressure and +10 minutes natural release, while something like large shells might need 2 minutes at high pressure and +12 minutes natural release
If you like your pasta softer than Al dente then add a couple extra minutes to natural release.
As far as getting your pasta water not to spew all over your kitchen slowly release the pressure in spurts.
And I enjoy writing but not sure I would be very good at writing just about the instant pot.

Back