Instant Pot Egg Bites: Cottage Cheese Substitute & Mold Covering Tips

I can’t stand cottage cheese but use it in egg bites since it’s blended in and it’s only for structure- I can’t tell it’s there. I use the silicone lid to keep condensation out. I would say to make absolutely sure the lids are silicone if using to cook- soft/floppy and not plastic- stiff/hard. Some sets online include plastic lids just for the purpose storage. If plastic, you can just cover with some foil.

@xin I originally used a heavy cream recipe. Didn’t like the texture. The cottage cheese version is SO much better! Agree that you don’t even notice it’s there

You don’t need to use cottage cheese. Just mix up a few eggs as you would for scrambling. I just mix up eggs, diced peppers, onions, spinach. Sometimes I’ll add ham. I don’t use liquid other than the eggs. I use the silicone lids.

I cook mine the lids on so I can stack them and so the steam doesn’t make the eggs watery. Never had a problem.

Just a tip for those with recipes that cottage cheese and don’t like it, if you blend it real well and cook with it you never really taste it. I have cooked with cottage cheese and people that hate said the loves the dish.

I have purple ones that are tiny, used once. Too small. Found instant pot brand, mine are red and more than twice the size. Look on amazon and instant pot web site for accessories. Don’t remember cost, but have had for years. Am IP crazy have 3, 6 and8 qts.

I don't like cottage cheese either. I just scramble my eggs with some milk and whatever veggies, meat, cheese, etc. Pour into the molds and cook.

I just do eggs, S&P, whatever veggies you want to add, cheese. I don’t care for the texture with the cottage cheese so I leave it out.

You don’t really taste the cottage cheese it melts with the eggs! I hate cottage cheese and I liked the egg bites I did with cottage cheese! But you can do mayo, you can do water, you can do something fluffy, or sour cream, or Spanish crema(cream)

I would sub with ricotta cheese as well. However when you blend it, it all becomes one texture and you can’t tell there is cottage cheese in it. I don’t like cottage cheese either and I have used both ricotta and cottage.

I make them all the time and I have never used cottage cheese. Just do an egg and milk mixture just like if you were making traditional scrambled eggs. Season, pour into molds then add your veggies, cheese, etc... Cook with the silicone lids ON so they don't overflow and they won't get soaked with the condensation. Plus, that allows you to stack however many you can fit. Mine always come out tasty and fluffy! Enjoy getting creative with your meat, cheese and veggie combos!

@mint3 I don’t use the cottage cheese either. They’re just fine without it! I didn’t realize you cooked these with the lids on the mold. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I’ve always loosely laid a piece of foil over mine. Thank you for letting us know!

@blamecanada You're welcome! Also, everyone always says spray your molds with oil but, that's not necessary. Silicone has a very high nonstick quality and mine never stick! I just flip the mold upside down onto a plate and they slide right out! 😁

Back