Understanding Instant Pot Timing: What 'Instant' Really Means and Tips for New Users

delraesloves

Another tip for the newbies: the word "Instant" is a misnomer. The IP is usually faster than your stove or other methods but it's not actually instant.
The recipes tell you the time to input but that doesn't include the time it will take for your IP to come to pressure before the IP begins cooking. Depending on what you're cooking, it could take a while.
If a recipe tells you to do a natural release, that's fine but you also don't know how long that's going to take. It could be five minutes, 10, or more. Because the meals in my home are super flexible about time, this isn't a problem for me. If you need to know exactly when your meal is going to be done cooking for a meal with guests, I suggest cooking a meal you've made before.
The vast majority of the time when I want a recipe all I have to do is type in "Instant Pot [name of recipe]" in Google and someone out there has created a recipe and published it and/or made a video on YouTube.
The IP is super easy to use and definitely makes life easier. If you just got one - or it's been sitting in its box in the garage - get it out and do the water test. Move on to steamed veggies. You can do it!

I did the water test and moved straight to pork, sauerkraut and kielbasa, lol. My next meal was eye round roast with potatoes and carrots. So far everything has gone well *knocks on wood*

That's because "Instant" is a marketing tool. It is an electric pressure cooker. A very easy to use electric pressure cooker but of course, it isn't instant in any way.

@ranse It is boiling like a son of a gun long before it seals, and it boils like a son of a gun long after it says cooking complete... so the 2 minutes in reality can become 15-25 minutes depending on how long you let it natural release.

This was definitely my biggest pet peeve when everyone was like, "oh, this only takes ___ amount of time in the instant pot." But never calculated how long it can take to come to pressure, especially if it's a soup. And sometimes they don't even calculate the natural release time in that. Liar.

@orange14 me too! Two hours later at almost 8pm we're finally having dinner, but too hungry to reduce the liquid to make gravy. 😅 Definitely a learning curve and husband says use it on the weekend and start right after lunch! 🤣

@apomapom
Try a slurry mix of 1 Tbl Cornstarch mixed with 1 Tbl of cold water or other thin liquid for every cup of liquid meant for your gravy to thicken. That ratio usually works for me. Stir while adding the slurry while the liquid is heated until it's the consistency you want. It usually only takes a minute or two to thicken on Saute. 😊

Back