How to Make Bone Broth from Rotisserie Chicken: A Lesson Learned and a Success Story!

I make veggie/bone broth. I use all my veggies trimmings, tops, peals, lettuce, spinach, cabbage or veggies that are going bad before getting eaten. Throw in freezer gallons bags and save and add to my bone carcass. Always a a bit if vinegars to pull collagen out of bone. Just enough water to cover and simmer in crockpot for 24 to 48 hours. Strain thru cheesecloth, chill and remove grease. It’s the thickest gelatin broth you will have. Amazing flavor delicious!!!!if you put in dark paper skin from onions you broth will be a dark rich color! Amazing flavor from all scraps!!!!!oh don’t oversalt. I have used my insta pot but prefer my 8 gt crockpot!Stock is so rich you can dilute

Simmer the stock down to about half, pour and cool in 9 x 13” pan (it will be jelled and thick). Cut into cubes, freeze then put in freezer bag. It’s very condensed and 1 cube is all you need.

I save all my vegetable scraps in a gallon zip lock bag, in my freezer. When full, I make vegetable stock. Freeze stock in 1c zip lock baggies in freezer.

I will freeze bones for broth later…just keep a bag in the freezer. I wasted so many turkey carcasses over the years. I think turkey and chicken bones or chicken and duck bones make the most awesome broth.

I save up two or three carcasses and all my celery, carrot and onion scraps in the freezer, then when I have enough I throw it in the pot. Don’t forget to add a bay leaf and a splash of vinegar to help leach the bones.

@dunamis2007 Good on you for cookin' up broth! I cook a lot of bone broth & have used that rotisserie chicken just like you. No matter what kind of bone broth I am making, I always roast the bones: chicken @ 400 for 30 min; lamb and beef @ 400 for an hour. I make sure to scrape all the caramel-ly brown bits from the bottom of the roasting pan. Recently, I sprayed the roasting pan lightly, placed onions (sliced in half) in the pan & covered them with the bones. Omgoodness, the broth was so enriched with the brown onions & bones! Beef bones need to be simmered first in a vat of water so that the scummy stuff floats to the top for spooning off; then the beef bones can be roasted. I also pour my broth into wide-mouth Mason jars & leave the fat to congeal on top. The congealed fat acts as preservative. Wishing to much more happy broth making!!!!

Back