Instant Pot Egg Bites: Cottage Cheese Substitute & Mold Covering Tips

I use shredded cheddar, ricotta or even heavy cream or milk, never cottage cheese. think of it as an omelet! I cover with foil. Never use the silicone covers. That’s for storage

You can use the lids but don’t overfill, or the lids will pop off and the egg bites will be a bit wonky. I have tried both recipes. I tend to prefer the ones without the cottage cheese, but with the cottage cheese they are a bit more fluffy as someone above said.

My lids are hard plastic, not silicone, so I don't use them in the Instant Pot. I lay some foil over the mold to keep the moisture out. I also don't use cottage cheese. I mix my eggs with some milk and cheddar cheese. Maybe add a little cooked meat (sausage, ham or crumbled bacon).

I’ve made them without cottage cheese. Just add anything you would to a omelette. And as far as covering i used aluminum foil

My set looks almost identical to yours (no rack, but the spoons were included). My lids are not silicone. Now I’m bummed! 😂
I use cottage cheese and don’t ever eat it by itself; you can’t taste it in there. I buy the serving size packs. They will keep longer than an opened container.

An option is to use cottage cheese but freeze any left over in recipe-sized amounts. Then you’ll have exactly the amount of cottage cheese you need for the next time you cook up a batch.

I’ve used cottage cheese or milk or coconut milk. I’ve added bacon bits, or sausage, caramelized diced onions, or salsa, and various types of cheese. I recently tried using Hardeez’s Guacamole salsa (mild). It was really good in them.

You can definitely make them without cottage cheese but they won’t have the sous vide texture. You blend it all up so it’s 100% not noticeable other than a lighter texture to the egg bite.

I do eggs, splash of milk and then whatever else(cheese, sausage). 2 cups of water in the bottom of pot, fill molds 1/2 to 2/3 way. cover with the lid and yes I stack mine with the lids on. High pressure 9 minutes and not 4+ minutes or until I remember to get them out!

Back