Foolproof Deviled Egg Recipes: Tips and Special Ingredients to Win Over a Former Egg Skeptic

I do the 5-5-5. I add best foods mayo (Hellman’s east of the Rockies). Salt and pepper and a little mustard to the mashed yolks.

I mix the yolks with mayo, Creole mustard, chopped kosher dill pickles, chopped green olives with pimentos, capers, and a generous sprinkle of Tony Chachere's. After the whites are filled, dust with paprika.

I've always made mine to taste. Basically it's a mixture of mayo, mustard, and some sweet pickle relish juice (you can put some of the relish into the mix if you want). Also a bit of salt and pepper.
I combine the mixture of the ingredients above into a small bowl or cup BEFORE mixing with the mashed egg yolks and taste as I go. Once I get the flavor I want, then I start to mix with the yolks.
Remember add a little of the mixture at a time to the mashed yolks so you can get the deviled egg consistency YOU want. Some "fillings" are thicker and others thinner. That's up to you too.

@ourladyoftherosary pickle or relish is a MUST! If I don't have sweet relish, I add pickle juice and a touch of honey or sugar. My dad used to add maraschino cherry juice and or amaretto (just a touch) to get it sweet. No one ever could figure out what his secret ingredients were, but they raved about them and he brought them to every function by everyone's request

@jgcoble I was already thinking about a little of my dill pickle juice because I seen it listed in a recipe that I've viewed. As for making them sweet that kind of grosses me out but then again I've never had it either way but I can't imagine a sweet one. So I don't think I would put sugar honey when especially I wouldn't put cherry juice lol but definitely I think about putting a couple teaspoons of pickle juice

I think it's kinda what you were raised with 🤣 our family almost always made them a tiny bit sweet. But they are also very salty and acidic due to the mustard and pickle juice, so it works and balances it out. It's a very tiny amount, but just adds that little bit of balance 😉

Using the 555 method is perfect for me. I like Hellman's Mayo, dill relish, salt and pepper. Tiny bit of yellow mustard. Often I use sliced olives on top, to make them pretty.

I would suggest making them a couple of different ways to see which you like the best. There are so many variations you can do. My granddaughter makes them with sweet relish and dill relish. Some with jalapeño’s. But also like to add some celery seeds.

Mayo, a bit of mustard, salt, pepper and a bit of garlic powder is what I do. Sometimes I add chopped mild Italian peppers that I get at the Italian grocery store. Taste it as you go until you get it right. Remember it needs to be a bit saltier than you would eat it straight because the egg white is very bland. I sprinkle with paprika or dill but I find people like dill better. 5/5/5 works fine for me.

@crayola2 Thank you and yes I was thinking automatically to put garlic powder and onion powder in because to me those two are great seasonings for about anything.

Use what you like. Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip. A little mustard is usually added. If you do use the mustard you like. Plain yellow, dijon.. relish- either sweet or dill. What you like. Some like a slice of green olive. That’s not my choice. Horseradish doesn’t go in mine either. A sprinkle of paprika on top dresses them up. So if you put in what you normally like, you will like your deviled eggs.

Back