Instant Pot Troubles: Recipes Taking Longer and Slow Cooking Issues - What Am I Doing Wrong?

padi

I recently got an instant pot. I have found that cooking times are drastically underestimated in recipes. For example, I made a stuffed pepper recipe that needed AT LEAST double the cooking time. They were completely raw in the middle. Also, using the slow cooking setting doesn’t seem to work. I tried a slow cooker soup that I have made countless times in my crock pot 6 hours on high. I set the Instant pot on the slow cook setting for 9 hours and the beans and lentils were still too hard. What am I doing wrong??? I’m almost ready to throw the thing out the window.

Are you using IP recipes or trying to convert your stovetop/ crockpot recipes?
I usually look for a recipe close to what I want & use the times as a reference. Are you using the correct amount of thin liquid?

@truthseeker4444 great idea to try and explain it. I love my ip but realized it would crazy for me to adapt my recipes to it. Now after using it for years I know how to adapt recipes. But it can be tricky and intimating to many of us

There are many people that complain about the same thing and won’t use the instant pot as a slow cooker.

Slow cooking in the IP is NOT like a crock pot, it will take much longer. As far as the stuffed peppers, what settings did you use?

@arc1 we are asking about the stuffed peppers she tried to make in the IP not the slow cooker stuff. She had 2 questions in one.

Use trusted recipes like pressure luck, salty marshmallow, it is not a crock pot so it doesn't cook like one, I've just avoided using it all together!

It cooks differently than a slow cooker, and only heats from the bottom. That’s why it takes so much longer.
Tours very much not alone in this function not working. Keep your slow cooker and use the IP for quicker high pressure cooked meals.

We will need much more info on the stuffed peppers to trouble shoot that. Ingredients, steps taken, settings used, NR or QR?

Back