Instant Pot Troubles: Recipes Taking Longer and Slow Cooking Issues - What Am I Doing Wrong?

I heard that your altitude will impact the cook times. I am close to sea level and I find that the cook times provided in recipies are too long. Higher elevations will take longer.

Use tried and true experienced cooks like Jeffrey Eisner at pressureluckcooking.com
He's spent hours in the kitchen so we don't have to do so Try his pot roast n gravy and sausage and shells. Heard many bad reports about slow cooker function on ondtajt pots so kept my real slow cooker in garage about 4 years ago. It has remained there. I LOVE instant pots. I have ALL sizes and use them

I’m in Mexico, need more liquid and more time 🤷‍♂️ So glad I spent the time to figure it out for my circumstances! There is a learning curve but no food need be wasted.

I always check 3-4 recipes for times. Not all recipes are written well. You also need to learn your pot. They all seem to cook different depending on several factors like size. Most recipes for hard boiled eggs call for 5 minutes mine only takes 2

No, no, do not confuse the slow cooker mode on the Instant Pot for any type of crock pot or slow cooker you may have used previously, they are not interchangeable. As far as IP recipe times, yes they very due to the temperature of the items you put into the pot, the sizes you chop things, elevation, all this affects how long it takes your pot to come to pressure.

What is the altitude where you live? I’m at 9200 ft and have to add at least 30% more time to most recipes. There are altitude charts available online.

...a slow cooker and a crock pot are two very different appliances due to placement of the heating elements...a slow.cooker cooks from the bottom, a crock pot cooks from the bottom and sides...the slow cooker on the IP works fine if used properly...

You are correct-slow cook doesn’t work, cause it doesn’t heat from sides. Also, you need to stick to reputable recipes like, pressureluckcooking.com or Amy and Jacky… I’m sure other posters can add to the list. Also, YouTube 101 things to know about the Instant Pot!!!

Please DM me your address so I can wait outside that window!!! Lol. Once I started using mine, I got used to how to adjust times and now I couldn't live without my IP.

I generally add at least two minutes onto the cook time. For whatever reason, my pot doesn't cook as quickly. From everything I've gathered from research, the slow cook function isn't as good as an actual slow cooker. 

You realize the slow cooker function isn't a real slow cooker, right? A slow cooker cooks from bottom and all sides. The IP slow cooker cooks from the bottom only. Less than ideal. Verdict: don't use it for slow cooking.
The cooking time: it doesn't start cooking until it comes to full pressure. That's your true cooking time and the time that is noted in recipes. It does not include the preheat and come to pressure time which does take quite some time. So yes, from the time you close the lid until it's time to release pressure, could be double the actual cooking time.
What source are you sing for recipes? I use Pressure Luck Cooking by Jeffrey Eisner almost exclusively and have never had a fail.

The slow cooker isn’t good imo. The pressure cook times are fairly accurate for me. Make sure you have it on the correct pressure setting and the vent is closed, etc. If you do, then maybe you have a bad recipe. How long was the stuffed pepper cook time? When I’ve made it, over 8 minutes and my peppers are mush. If you cooked them longer than 10 then I’m fairly certain soemthing wasn’t set right…

I have found that the slow cooker setting on the instant pot is not great at all. I love my instant pot, but I never use the slow cooker setting - not sure you can have it replace your crock pot. That being said, if you want some good instant pot recipes and tips, I’d be happy to share. I have an excellent Mac and cheese recipe. Soups and chilis are so good in the instant pot. Steel cut oats - yum. I use delay start to have them ready in the morning

Back