Instant Pot Troubles: Recipes Taking Longer and Slow Cooking Issues - What Am I Doing Wrong?

@padi are you sure the IP came up to temperature and SEALED? The little silver thing popped up on top? You can usually heat the steam building up just before this happens. If so you night call the company as there might be a problem with your machine. Does the water test work okay?

@padi not one of the mainstream recipe suppliers - maybe just an erroneous recipe? I have found this a lot lately - random recipes I get from the internet often turn out very wrong.

I have not heard good things about using it as a slow cooker, but I love it for pressure cooking. Make sure you are using a recipe from a reliable source; there are some bad recipes out there. One of my favorite resources is Jeff Eisner. His site is Pressure Luck Cooking

@jkcuster it doesn't heat like a slow cooker does. A slow cooker heats the entire inner liner - bottom and sides. The Instant Pot only heats the bottom, so while it has a button to slow cook, it doesn't function the same.

@tess36 it is designed like a slow cooker not a crockpot - they are totally different. I have both and they don't heat the same way. Slow cookers are usually metal where crockpots are usually ceramic. The crockpots heat from all sides where the slow cooker only heats from the bottom.

Have you read your manual and tried using the search tab on the homepage here for technical advise? There is so so much information here at your fingertips. Pretty much all of your questions have been asked and answered. You will appreciate everyone's help!

Sounds about right. EVERYTHING needed more time for me. Used a potato 1st to see, almost double time. 45 min is 90 min for meals.

The slow cooker is nothing like the crockpot slow cooker. I make beans all the time. Pinto from dry. Easy 6 1/2 cups 50 minutes pressure cook. I will post the recipe.

Back